Joined by Sean McCaffery and Jimmy Keenan from the radio programme Afternoon Delight, Lilly relives her memories from her time there. Also featured is former Conway Mill worker Sheila Fagan and author of “The Rise and Fall of West Belfast Mills”‚ Olive Maguire.
Conway Mill began operation on the Falls Road in 1842. It was owned by James Kennedy & Son, Flax Spinners and its location was at the centre of the linen spinning industry. The Conway Street mill updated its spinning machinery between 1906 and 1913. The new machinery was made by Belfast’s James Mackie and Sons. With the move away from linen to cotton and synthetic fibres, the linen industry declined and the mill closed in 1976.
Filmed in 2011.